Our favourite place to find materials to create with is nature, but this is certainly followed by the recycling bin! Use newspaper to make this simple festive Fall garland!
- Watercolour paints
- Paper bag handles
- Ribbon, rick-rack, cord etc. for hanging
- Cooling rack
- Look for sections in newspaper that are mainly print for the best results. Cut them out into sections that will fit in your tray. Paint them both in pumpkin and leaf colours and allow them to dry overnight. We find that using a cooling rack does the trick for faster, more thorough drying.
- While we were waiting we cut off the handles of paper bags (the kind that you get shopping) for the vines of the pumpkins. We unravelled them and then cut them into strips and then curled them around our pencil for a “vine-like look”.
- Once your newspaper is dry, sketch out your pumpkins and your leaves and cut them out. Look at real pumpkins for inspiration.
- Glue your vines to the top of your pumpkins, along with your leaves.
- Once dry, glue your pumpkins onto your cord, twine, rick-rack etc. (Be careful not to glue them to your work surface accidentally!)
- Once dry, hang up your seasonal garland or give it to a friend!