This easy cranberry trifle features soft cake layered with sweet tart cranberries and homemade custard. This beautiful dessert is perfect for any time of year!
This cranberry trifle features a homemade sweet tart cranberry sauce and a from-scratch custard layered with your favorite cake! You can assemble this up to 2 days ahead of time but I’d recommend adding the whipped cream & decorations just prior to serving.
- 24 oz fresh cranberries 2 packages
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 loaf 16 oz frozen pound cake, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 9 x13 white cake baked, cooled and cubed
- Whipped cream for decorating
- Sugared Cranberries for decorating
- Combine all cranberry layer ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk in milk. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a boil, let boil 2 minutes while stirring.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs while whisking. Return the mixture to the sauce pan and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Let boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool in the saucepan for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour into a large bowl and place plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Place half of the cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl. Top with half of the cranberry mixture and half of the custard. Repeat layers.
- Top with whipped cream and candied cranberries if desired.
Calories: 387, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 136mg, Sodium: 404mg, Potassium: 178mg, Carbohydrates: 77g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 54g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 5.8%, Vitamin C: 7%, Calcium: 18.2%, Iron: 8.6%